Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2013 16:41:07 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
There is a style of hive used in England, denominated the cross-box hive, recommended by Dr. Bevan, in his work on the honey-bee. The principle is this:- that in consequence of the bees having a tendency to depart from the proper thickness in building combs, that is, such thickness as produces the greatest increase and prosperity, the science of man interferes. and furnishes guide-bar for the bees to work upon. These bars are loosely placed in a rabbit at the top of the hive, and the distance is gradually widened from the centre to the sides, in order to have the centre-combs closer together than those built at the sides. The reason of this is, that the brood-combs should be, in the centre, of a certain thickness, and a certain proportion of the whole number built. 

Bevan says, that without these guide-bars, the bees will, or may construct too many store-combs, which (as I have before stated) are unfit for breeding purposes, and in consequence of this lack of brood-combs, the apiarian will find, alter a few years, that his bees are greatly deficient in fecundity and general prosperity. Thus speaks Bevan. These cross-bars being put in their proper places, the top board of the hive is put in with screws, so as to be taken off at pleasure. This enables the bee-master to withdraw combs from the hives at any time be pleases. The side connextion with the wood is cut with a long knife, something like a spatula used for compounding drugs, and then drawn out at the top of the hive. There are some advantages in this arrangement, but for general adoption it is out of the question. It involves too much expense and trouble for American use. 

I allude to this kind of hive merely because it is considered as all important by Dr. Bevan, whose work is the only one of merit that has a general circulation in this country. I myself do not, and will not try the experiment, being satisfied to let well "enough alone." Indeed, the art of making bees profitable does not lie in mystified complications, which perhaps the world may one day find out. 

-- T. B. Miner, Ravenswood, L. I. 1847
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2