From:
Bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 21:41:50 -0400
Hello All,
I learned the results of tests done last week and today.

I only share on hopes may help another beekeeper with similar
Problems.

The Pulmonary doctors I used are considered experts in the field
And had been trying to figure out a low oxygen problem with a
Non smoker.

The results were a learning experience both for the office and myself.

First let me say there are two tests to detect the problem but require blood work.

Viracor -Ibt labs
Lees Summit Missouri

Also let me say the problem developed over I would guess a 10 year period.

I am 6 times the reference range for apis mellifera (but still have full immunity
From bee stings)

 Strange?

I also was tested Bombus terrestrus and was three times lower than the reference
Range.

 Strange?

Doctor advice.
For now doc said he was not going to say to quit  but his office feels the bee hairs ect. Are
Irritating my lungs and have produced a condition in my lungs and water on the lungs.

Their concern is the condition getting worse. They feel common dust masks will not work so
a special mask (such as  TB patients wear was decided upon when around bees was recommended

3M 1870 Niosh N95

In six months a cat scan of the lungs (with dye) will be ran to see if the problem is better, the same
Or worse.

The doctor said he has read of cases like mine but mine is the first they have seen.

The doctor and I discussed a worse case scenario. so now I am to carry an epi pen.

Luckily the season is about over and each week will be   spending less time among the bees.

I will inform the list after the checkup in 6 months.

Off to the bees tomorrow with my mask!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Midwest beekeeper