From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2013 17:38:05 -0400
Stan wrote
>  Mixed in with the real facts was a lot of non facts ...

To which Christina replied"
> For some target audiences, I think he said exactly the right thing(s).

Me:
> Hmm. I wonder who comprises the audience for which non facts are exactly right.

Christina again:
> Are simplified explanations given as oral communications "non-facts" in your book?

Me:
I was commenting on the exchange between you and Stan. He seems to say the presentation is littered with errors, and you said it was exactly the right thing for some audiences. That is what I was commenting upon. I made no distinction between simplified explanations, harmless dumbing down, and baldfaced lies. The show probably had plenty of all of these.

Look, I write regularly for the American Bee Journal. I have made a point of simplifying scientific concepts in order to make the technical stuff plain and understandable to the average reader. But to use false statements to pretty up the presentation is dishonest and insulting to the audience.

I took it on the chin from you for smoothing over the complexity of nACHRs. Why should we then sit back while some rube extols the virtues of bee glue? Every beekeeper knows bees collect anything sticky, including asphalt and silicone caulk. The fact that some bee glue is antimicrobial is likely a fluke. The antimicrobial properties are there to protect the plants that produce them, not bees.

To me, there is a vast difference between folk remedies and real medicine. Otherwise we would all gargle with Listerine, take vitamin C and live to be 100. Same with bees. If vitamin C, thymol and pixie dust was all it took, we wouldn't need to conduct classes on Bee Wellness. They'd already Bee Well!

Pete