From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 12:21:25 -0400
> the idea that N. ceranae might have been a mutation of N. apis prompted by Fumagillin use seems extremely farfetched

Continuing this thread;

homologous recombination events between rRNA gene units of
N. apis and N. ceranae infecting the same cell are not impossible.
This notion is further supported by the recent finding of ribosomal
locus sequences that were an intermediate between those of N.
apis and N. ceranae in an unidentified Nosema species isolated from
honey bees in France (Huang et al., 2008). Our results presented
here indirectly support the hypothesis of possible homologous
recombination between rRNA gene units of N. apis and N. ceranae.

The implication being of course that Nosema hybrids are quite possible, even inevitable

PLB