From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:50:53 -0600
> We have to collect barrels from small-scale producers with no fork-lift
> facilities.  The barrels are tipped over, rolled on to the tail lift and
> into the lorry.

I have picked up plenty of barrels with a loader on a tractor or skid loader
but do not like to lay "open top" drums on side and roll.

The Amish use the method. I get payment in advance or a "received in good
condition" receipt before the Amish lay on side. I have watched the Amish
roll drums on rough ground for a couple hundred feet before standing up.
also rope off the back of a truck.

I have never saw a lid pop off but have saw dents cause serious leaks twice.
Once half a drum of honey was lost and both times the Amish could not later
seal the lid.

A couple of my  trips into Amish country with drums of honey are in the
archives.

I always enjoyed doing business with the Amish. I remember once I unloaded a
drum of honey for the Yoder family in the Ozarks. Mr. Yoder stood staring at
the drum I had placed in the shed. Mr. Yoder looked puzzled and kept
staring at the drum. I asked the problem? He said "How do we get the honey
out of the drum".
Mrs. Yoder said:
"Ye use  a ladle and held up a small wooden ladle"
I thanked the Yoder family for their business and headed to the Smith farm
in the Amish community.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Midwest beekeeper