From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 11:50:31 -0800
>In simple terms, how do they work?  Are they keys looking for a compatible
lock, like a virus; and only active on specific kinds of cells that they
fit?

In theory yes.  If we can please keep to the RNAi topic, it is designed to
be very specific--even more so than what happens naturally in your cells,
in which long dsRNA's are chopped up into all sorts of short dsRNA's, yet
your body deals with them.

I've covered this topic some time ago at
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-4-immune-response-to-viruses/

> >Is Pete's concern that they might accidentally fit some other cell that
> was unintended and just happens to be crucial to the functioning of the
> organism being treated or some innocent bystander organism?

I hesitate to speak for Pete.  As best I can tell, he is speaking of two
different technologies, with different concerns.  Pete, perhaps you could
make it more clear in your posts as to which technology you are referring
to.

> >How permanent are these RNAi interventions and can they self-reproduce?

With the antiviral dsRNA, it does not tend to be reproduced to great extent
unless "primed" by the presence of the virus that it is intended to
suppress.

> > Can they degenerate or mutate after production or introduction and make
> damaged copies that could have unintended effects?

In any copying process, errors can be made.  But this is going on in every
cell of your body all the time, so I don't see any reason to suspect that
RNAi treatment would cause any more negative effects.

In answer to Mike, yes, RNAi treatment for viruses is much like getting a
vaccination.  For varroa or nosema, perhaps more like a systemic dog
treatment to kill fleas, but without any toxins involved.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA