From:
Tim Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:06:00 -0600
>I'm guessing that your bee cellars (warehouses) are not at -40C during the
Alberta winter, right?  Are you saying that the moths have to freeze quickly
in order to survive....and do you mean that they are outside, or in your
warehouses when they overwinter (or both)?  Do you know where they hang out
when it's that cold?  In the hive, or somewhere else? <

Our warehouse is only for storing honey supers for the winter and yes it
does get to -40 inside, we have found that even though it gets this cold the
wax moth eggs and larvae still survive, have even seen the larvae moving at
that temperature. It seems that if it is a gradual drop in temperature it
doesn't affect the wax moth, the temperature has to drop quickly to kill
them. While I can only imagine that some survive winter in the hives, I
believe far more survive in any brood boxes and some honey supers in
storage.

Tim Townsend