Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:12:34 -0400
Subject:
From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
> A haploid individual with only a single deleterious mutatation is unlikely to survive, much less one with a "high level" of deleterious mutations.

Leave aside the genetics for a moment. We know that the offspring of inbred lines are generally viable but can carry deleterious mutations such as hip dysplasia in dogs.

Now, the pairing of inbred bees would produce viable offspring as well. This was the whole point in suggesting that US bees are overly inbred and could be lacking in diversity. But they still produce bees, maybe not the best bees possible. Therefore, they still produce drones.

Drones from inbred lines ("inbred drones") may be lacking in vigor, may be smaller, may have defective sperm. Yes, they would no doubt be selected out of the gene pool if they failed in competition with other more vigorous drones. But if a queen by chance mated with such drones, she could pick up negative traits in this way, and pass them on to her offspring.

Otherwise, why would we place so much emphasis on selecting good breeders? These would no doubt be carrying positive traits as would their drones. Inbreeding can reinforce positive traits as well. Just because they are haploid it does not follow that they would not be able to pass on traits.

PLB