From:
Mark Burlingame <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:52:15 -0500
> PCDD/F concentrations also increased in the 2,4-D formulation by 3000% during 96min of sunlight exposure (from 4.5 to 140 lg kg-1)

As a PhD organic chemist, I look at this and wonder exactly what that statement means.  For 2,4-D to be converted to dioxins via a light activated process, it's almost certainly a radical process.  Radicals are very short lived chemical species and so my guess is that neat (undiluted) 2,4-D is far more likely to generate some very small amount of Dioxins when exposed to direct sunlight or uv light, however when diluted in water (which I suspect is how it is delivered) and dispersed on vegetation, my guess is that there is very little Dioxin produced as any 2,4-D radicals are more likely to be quenched by the water or the vegetation itself.  It hard to know out of context what statements like the one above really mean, it is probably factual but may not really pertain to the conversation at hand.  One really needs to know the experimental details to be sure.   Also I am not sure what "lg" is supposed to be probably a typo?  Mark