From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:08:37 -0400
==Quote===
We test our ideas and test them hard.  The _three times_ I went
treatment-free or nearly so, I lost _all_ the hives involved around the
third year, so it is not that we are not  don't look favourably on the
idea.
=====

Hello,

I agree, -it is typical to loose a large
percentage of colonies by about the
3rd year after going treatment free.
That being said, when I started
treatment free, goals were set low,
I considered colonies which lasted
2 or 3 years a success, then goals
set at 4 years and so on.

==Quote===
We know that some seem to be going without treatments, and even on a
large scale, but we know the odds are against success in any large
number for more than a few years have been shown in the past to be
poor. ....
On BEE-L, we're happy to hear reports, but we look critically at
everything.
=====

I would enjoy hearing reports from those
keeping bees without treatments in areas
where there are no ferals, -due to the low
mite pressure I am experiencing here in
a region with a healthy feral population.

My hypothesis is that ferals must be
contributing to low mite counts in some manner.
Besides contributing to good out mating, perhaps
ferals are maintaining low enough mite loads
so as not to add mite pressure to domestic
colonies.  They may also be maintaining
sufficient strength to act as a beacon,
siphoning off drifting mite infested bees
from domestic colonies.

In a region without ferals, one might
experience the post flow crash Randy
was referring to.  With no ferals to siphon
drifting infested bees, they will naturally
be attracted to the strongest producers.

My belief is that beekeepers going treatment
free in areas not having a healthy feral
population may experience great difficulties.

Best Wishes
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeralBeeProject/