From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:05:04 -0500
I never saw the piece before. Roger was indeed years ahead of his time.

Roger wrote:
>When free trade with Mexico and Canada is enacted, we will take colonies of
>honeybees to the Yucatan or southwest Mexico in October and split each one
>into five parts. Some will be trucked to the Peace River District of
>northern Alberta, the world's second best honey-producing area, in the
>following spring. Many of the colonies grown in Mexico will go to
>California to pollinate almonds.

If not for the cartels in Mexico the above would already be happening.
The U.S.  should learn from the violence along the border. Ignore a problem
and the problem becomes bigger.
The Mexican government *in my opinion* will take 5-10 years to get on top of
the problem now.

Less commercial beekeepers interested in honey production has made the
opening of the Canada border less important.

NAFTA changed trade.
Large U.S. beekeepers feel opening either border could happen if they wanted
to fund the process based on NAFTA legislation.

bob