From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 07:26:45 -0800

> >The question I pose is the protien in these sugar patties going to cause
> gut and digestive issues while in cluster over winter?

Doug, I'm catching up on mail, so sorry for joining in late!

You ask a question that is of great practical consideration.  When caged
bees are kept in incubators, the feeding of protein (in the form of pollen
or supplement) may lead to early mortality.  I'm not clear whether this is
a generic phenomenon, or due to the specific feed source causing problems
in this unnatural situation.  The obvious question, then, is whether this
observation applies to natural colonies during winter when flight is
restricted by cold weather.

Since I live in an area in which bees are rarely restricted from flight for
more than 10 days at a time, I can't answer from practical experience.  But
I have pursued this question with those whose bees are.

In the most extreme case--hives confined to dark, cold storage cellars for
the winter--colonies going into the cellars with plenty of stored beebread
appear to do fine.  Based upon data from Lloyd Harris, those colonies rear
considerable brood during confinement, meaning that they needed to consume
and digest considerable amounts of beebread.

The bees in these hives appear to be able to "hold it" for a long
time--waiting to be removed from the cellars for their mass defecation
flights.

So the question that I'd pose to you is whether there is adequate natural
beebread stored in your hives.  If so, then likely no need for supplemental
protein.

If there is not enough, then the colonies would likely benefit once
broodrearing begins, which generally occurs in early December (prior to the
winter solstice, contrary to what most of the books say).  What you will
need to find via trial and error is what protein sources can be
successfully utilized by your confined bees without causing digestive
problems--which would be evidenced by dead bees at the entrance or
dysentery.

If you, or anyone else, has experimented with winter protein feeding of
confined (either naturally or in cellars) bees, I'd appreciate your posting
your experiences.

Randy Oliver, who has fed each of his appreciative colonies about 6-8
pounds of high-protein supplement this winter.