Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 08:51:15 +1000
7bit
From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
> When I was in Israel to speak last week, I had the pleasure of visiting
> most of the bee researchers there--none of whom had any connection to
> Monsanto whatsoever.

> They have a different take on IAPV.  They feel that it was imported on
> queens, which they import in large numbers from other countries.  I saw
> photos of colonies that had collapsed from IAPV.  They looked identical to
> those that collapsed in my trials in California in which we inoculated
> colonies with IAPV.  Also identical to several of the reports of CCD.

> Clearly IAPV is not involved in all cases of colony collapse.  But it
> certainly appears to me to be able to cause rapid colony collapse.

As we in Australia have IAPV why do we not see the same collapses?  There is
the fact that we do not have varroa but if varroa is being kept under
control then why would IAPV cause collapses?

It is interesting that Israel is saying they suspect that they got IAPV from
imported queens as I feel Australia got it from imported queens from the US
in the 1970's and early 80's.  But the question is where did it start?  I
think that a lot of what we have has been around for a long time and we
didn't have the capacity to detect it before.

I note that New Zealand now has Nosema ceranae but they have had their
border shut for many years now.  If NC is a recent transfer from Apis
cerana, how did NZ get it?  Could it be that NC has been around in mellifera
for many years and that we did not pick it up as it looks similar to Nosema
apis under the microscope?

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA

database 6765 (20120103) __________