From:
Bill Ruzicka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 18:26:08 -0800
In June when the Medivet label was released Allen put it on The List with
note:

>The burocrats have a lot of to do to make it right<or so in sense

Allen and all Canadians: this think is finish and unless your method is
listed you better apply for your own acid label.

And that includes anything which you soak first and then put in hive you
cannot use your V50.

After 8 months of working with PMRA I” am happy to let you know that The
MiteGone is legal to use in CANADA.

And we filled the application for our own formic acid.

What puzzles me is that in ONTARIO the Predecessor of Miteaway which is
listed in Medivet label as Slow releases method is now

Pushed and recommended:

Why wood ANYONE recommend Method with following restrictions Quotes from
Medivet LABEL:

 To reduce the chance of hive injury, the slow release application method
should only be used when the Varroa mite economic threshold has been
exceeded; temperatures are not above 30°C.

Treated colonies may have temporary suppression of population growth.

Up to 14 days of brood mortality may occur in the initial stage of
treatment, with single brood-chamber colonies being more susceptible to
damage than double brood-chamber colonies.

Treatment of colonies with fewer frames of bees than recommended may result
in excessive brood mortality and even in colony mortality. And highly
outside temperature dependant.

IF you Can use MiteGone Pads http://www.mitegone.com/  witch has no
restrictions are not weather or size dependant do not kill bees and are
legal in CANADA.

That’s includes ONTARIO see attached Credible use history ( At end)
Submitted under OATH to PMRA and PMRA RULING:

Dear Mr. Ruzicka,
Thank you talking with us this morning.
The following outlines my understanding of our discussion:

Short-term
You (Bill Ruzicka) will contact  the registrant, Medivet , to suggest that
they contact the PMRA regarding an amendment of the use directions on their
label (PCP No. 30108) in a way that would broaden the conditions of use of
their registered label (e.g. allow the use of MiteGone pads).
Should Medivet agree to amend their label, the PMRA will not require that
new labels be printed immediately.  The label update can be done at the next
label printing.  The official label will be posted as usual on the PMRA web
site.  It was suggested that Medivet contact the PMRA Registration
Directorate (Neilda Sterkenburg) who will provide advice regarding the label
amendment.

In the interim, the PMRA will not pursue compliance or regulatory actions
against beekeepers using MiteGone pads.

Long-term
You expressed interest in registering your own formic acid product and PMRA
offered to assist you in understanding the regulatory requirements for
submission of a formic acid product.
PMRA also informed you that the process of registering a formic acid
product, while not onerous,  will require more time than the short-term
amendment of the Medivet label.
Please let me know if your understanding was different.

Thank you

Patricia Curry
Director / Directrice
Minor Use and Risk-Reduction Strategies Division

The application for MiteGone Own registration was filled.
The READY TO FILL AND USE KITS ARE USER FRIENDLY

http://www.mitegone.com/pdfpages/Pre%20filling%20Pads%20Dry%20Kits%20.pdf

We are looking for distributors, stores, clubs group buys or individuals to
carry MITEGONE.

90 minutes DVD on everything you want to know about formic acid

 is available by mail for $ 15.

Credible use history SUBMISSIONS:

Use History Validation

Date: September 23, 2011 ……………………….

Director General

Value and Sustainability Assessment Directorate

Pest Management Regulatory Agency

2720, Riverside Drive

Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9

Subject: Validation of use history

This is to validate the use history supplied by MITE GONE Pads to support
the use of …Formic Acid (65 %) to

control the following pests -Varroa Mites, on the following crops: Honey Bee
Hives.

Please provide explanation regarding the performance of the product for the
use being proposed for

registration.

Name: James R. Peirce

Professional qualification: Beekeeper for 30+ years. Bsc. In Chemistry.
Organic Farmer

Contact information:[log in to unmask] 705-324-8633

Experience with commodity: (Why do you consider yourself qualified to
validate the use history?)

Use of MiteGone Pads since 2002 (both spring and fall) has resulted in 90%
plus eradication of existing

adult mites in each application monitored in each of several Bee Yards. This
non-invasive treatment does

not materially force either the house bees and/or field bees plus queen from
the hive as does Kramer pad

(Miteaway) treatment. The most beneficial positive of the Mite Gone
treatment for us is the ease of use and

one-time application resulting in time savings. I have also used MAQS
treatment this year but had

significant brood mortality or apparent physiological damage in newly
emerging brood.

Almost 10 years experience with Mite Gone as main source of Mite control
(occasionally use Oxalic Acid

during winter wraping) for about 75-100 hives in a variety of locations in
central Ontario. Attendance at

many neighboring Bee Associations indicates falicy in what other beekeepers
are doing for mite control

both in choosing resistant products to applying product at inapropriate
times. Research at our home yards

confirms efficacy of 65% Formic and original use of Formic pads on top of
brood nest (as in Miteaway 11)

in spring has often resulted in dead brood and dead queens due to
significant temperature swings. Mite

Gone delivery system fits well with the natural ventillation of the hive and
does not interfere with other

necessary hive manipulations, thus saving significant time and less exposure
of beekeeper to chemicals.

Yours truly,

James R. Peirce……………………………

If you wish to see the other 3 let me know.

Bill Ruzicka

Bill’s Honey Farm – Home of the MiteGone Formic Acid Treatment
Kelowna, British Columbia,  CANADA
Tel/Fax: 1-250-762-8156 (the best way to reach me is by phone Pacific Time)
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] Website:
<http://www.mitegone.com/> www.mitegone.com