Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:08:00 -0500
> What I don't understand, I guess, is that beekeepers who winter in cold regions
> seem to be reporting that without repeated introductions,  infestations of SHB
> either are no problem, or disappear altogether.
>
> Can anyone explain that?

Here is what happens in the south SHB tend to pick on a few hives to
winter in (hundreds) and usually pick weak ones or queen less ones which
will die when that happens and the weather is below 50F for a few days
the SHB also perish. That happens more often in the north than in the
south. In the north the winter cluster is tighter and the beetles may
not be able to stay in the cluster.
--
Harper's Honey Farm
Charles Harper