From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 12:14:52 -0600
??>  MAQS in that study had the poorest efficacy of the four tried -- less
than 50% -- and caused serious brood damage.

Allen & I have been on the BEE-L list for many years. Over a decade ago we
had quite a few beekeepers from Europe which had been experimenting and
using formic in about every way you can imagine (archives).

Although at the start claims were made of the power of formic to kill varroa
in sealed cells those beekeepers came to the conclusion was not feasible due
to loss of brood.

Efficacy with formic as always been all over the scale. The reason never
fully understood ( at least by me).
Bill Rusiki ( Mitegone) was always of the opinion (not sure if has changed)
that the formic needs placed at the outside edge of the brood nest. NOD felt
from above was best.

Back then Allen & I discussed the issue at length ( in archives). If I
remember correctly Allen only used formic on meat pads for tracheal mites. I
used menthol for tracheal . My menthol treatment was approved in U.S.,worked
and the cost was about fifty cents a hive with two treatments when Allen's
formic was *if I remember correctly four treatments* and similar in cost per
hive.

My experiments with mitegone & miteaway 2 never produced the results
concerning varroa control *I hoped for*. I do believe from my research and
listening from German beekeepers that a placement of strong smelling and at
times brood killing formic directly *in* the brood nest might not be worth
the possible killing of varroa in cells.

Formic fumes disrupt pheromones and the hive and need to be used carefully.

I had hoped to get some formic strips to test by now but *from my
experience* I believe the independent study is correct.

Being able to advertise a formic treatment with one application and no need
to remove the product which kills varroa in cells ( 95% efficacy) is a
beekeepers dream ( and you know what they say about if it sounds to good to
be true!}

Still I will try and try some strips to see for myself.

With what I know I would never treat all my hives with this product until
positive will not make the hives go backward.

bob