Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2011 15:32:29 GMT
From: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>

>I tell newbees to open up the hives as often as they feel like. The information, experience and enjoyment gained offsets any harm that could be caused.

I give the same advice in general...but there are specific situations where you can do harm....an unmated virgin is one, capped queencells (that might be in their fragile phase) is another.

>We're talking about a swarm here! The bees were FREE! What does she have to lose?

The same thing all beekeepers have to lose...a hive of bees that might cost $100 or so this time of year to replace (unless swarms are so common in the area that they can be located at will).

>I monitored a nuc from cell to laying queen this spring, opening it up almost every other day...Nothing bad happened to the queen due to my meddling.

Yes, I have as well...but as I said before, I've also seen virgins suddenly balled during inspections (and a newbee is not that likely to effectively stop the balling).

But more to the point...what happens if she follows your advice and doesn't see eggs?  Wait another week or two?  Buy a queen (which will likely not survive no matter how expensive she is if there is a virgin in the swarm)?  Pop in a frame of eggs and brood (does a newbee have these resources)?

deknow