From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:45:59 -0400
For centuries, beekeepers have been aware of the various moods of honey bees; scientists are just now coming around to the idea. The study of animal behavior took a side trip in the 1950s when it was characterized as a mechanical response to environmental cues; basically a black box not to be understood from the inside.

In recent years, more open minded researchers have attempted to study the behaviors of animals and even insects with the idea that they can be complex, sophisticated, and rooted in the same evolutionary pathways that produced our own behaviors. Fact is, much of human response is automatic, like sexual attraction, etc.

However, scientists were reluctant to climb on board the idea that insects could have feelings, until they discovered scientific explanations, such as molecular pathways, that could produce such responses. However, the horse is out of the barn now, with studies like the one mentioned and another earlier this year that came out of Cornell:

> Our results show that the concept of collective personality is applicable to colonies of social insects, and that personality differences among colonies can have important consequences for their long-term survival and reproduction. Applying the concept of personality to close-knit animal groups can provide important insights into the structure of behavioural variability in animal populations and the role that consistent between-group behavioural differences play in the evolution of behaviour.

* * *

This variation in behavior has been the bane of beekeepers and researchers, who all seem to want every hive to respond in a similar fashion. Fact is, every hive responds differently and every hive produces different results given the same weather, plants, beekeeper treatment, etc.

I think it's about time we realized that hives are not alike and are not ever going to produce consistent results. What this means is to really take advantage of the potential of the hives, one has to treat them as individuals, not as a yard full of clones. This may mean more work (as opposed to supering up all the hives the same, at the same time, etc.), but it could pay off by increasing honey production.

For the sideliners, it adds another dimension to the enjoyment and understanding of the hives. Instead of struggling to make them all the same, we acknowledge that they will all be different and act accordingly.

PLB

see:

Collective personalities in honeybee colonies are linked to colony fitness
Margaret K. Wray, Heather R. Mattila, and Thomas D. Seeley

Social molecular pathways and the evolution of bee societies
Guy Bloch and Christina M. Grozinger