Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:54:13 -0400
>If it doesn't interfere with your other management goals, it would be
interesting if you could concentrate these frames into the broodnests
of a few hives and see if you notice anything at all.

I may do that at some point when I have enough drawn, but yesterday
I was going through some boxes from last summer.  I had put some of
each foundation into hives in a manner that I could compare the
acceptance.  At that time, I was not conscious that the one-piece frame
cells were not 5.25.

So far, I have seen about 15 of each that have been drawn or partially
drawn, and I cannot say that I can see any difference in acceptance.  I
noticed that brood has been raised in each more or less equally.

All things being equal, I much prefer one-piece plastic since handling
them is much more like handling a honeycomb than handling a piece of
furniture and IMO the plastic edges are not as invasive as slabs of wood,
and, even without reduced cell size, there are far more cells per comb
due to the larger comb area per frame.

With the reduced (5.0) cell size added in, that 16% increase in area yields
a 40% increase in cell count per comb over the 5.4 mm Permadent frame
beside it!

That has huge management implications which are discussed further in my
curent diary pages at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/

As for the 5.0 size, I really have no idea if 5.0 cells are constrictive ornot.
If they are, that might offset some of the advantages of the more compact
brood area and volume.

I don't know how one could ever tell.