Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:37:46 -0800
From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
allen wrote:

> I also wonder how the data was statistically analysed.
> Then there is this: Exposure to Clothianidin Seed-Treated
> Canola Has No Long-Term Impact on Honey Bees.
> No real scientist would ever make a categorical claim like that.

Allen, that "categorical claim" is the title of the paper.  The paper was
peer reviewed and published in the Journal of Economic Entomology
in 2007.

The paper can be downloaded for free here:
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/esa/jee/2007/00000100/00000003/art00018;jsessionid=47i4c173f1d07.victoria

Click on the PDF 275.3kb button then save the .pdf to your desktop

On page 771 the authors wrote:

"Semifeld and field studies indicate that imidacloprid
seed treatments pose negligible risk to pollinators
(for review, see Maus et al. 2003), and it has been
hypothesized that clothianidin offers an increased
margin of safety to bees compared with imidacloprid
(Franklin et al. 2004). Our results show that honey
bees foraging on clothianidin seed-treated canola for
up to 21 d can be exposed to clothianidin residues in
pollen, nectar, and honey. However, exposure
concentrations were well below those reportedly required
to elicit toxic effects. Under the worst-case field
scenario we attempted to use, no differences between
colonies exposed to clothianidin seed-treated or control
canola were found in terms of bee mortality or
longevity, brood development, honey yield and overwinter
survival. Field exposure to clothianidin seed treated
canola presents negligible risk to honey bees."

Paul Cherubini
El Dorado, Calif.