Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:48:53 -0500
Subject:
From:
Ted Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
I recently read an article that referred to  Phylloxera devastator. The spread of this pest from America to France in the mid 1800’s has some similarities to the spread of varroa destructor (devastator vs. destructor).

Phylloxera is an aphid that feeds on the roots of grape vines. It was originally found in the USA where most vines had developed biological resistances to the aphid. It was transferred to France in the 1800’s via root stock. The vineyards in Europe had no resistance and started to die en masse.

In her book, “Phylloxera: How Wine was Saved for the World", by Christy Campbell, Campbell explains that the invasion of the aphids coincided with the building of the first railroads. So the railways were blamed for the dying vineyards and some track was torn up (neonicotinoids = railroads?).

“Early remedies were equally fanciful. Cows' urine, powdered tobacco, walnut leaves, crushed bones dissolved in sulphuric aid, a cocktail of whale oil and petrol, hot sealing wax applied to pruning lesions, potassium sulphide dissolved in human urine, volcanic ash from Pompeii, marching bands, douches of elder-leaf tea, were all proposed to the Ministry of Agriculture, who had offered a prize of 300,000 gold francs for a cure. The prize still sits unawarded in the vaults of the Banque de France.”

Science eventually solved the problem by combining American root stock with European vines (no one in Europe could stomach American wine - the snobs) to develop new vines resistant to the aphids.

In this example it is resistant stock, not chemical treatments that were the solution to the aphid problem. And I note the cure couldn’t be patented so the scientists who solved the problem had to be satisfied with that do-gooder strength we get when we use our brains and energy to help our fellow wo(man) get ahead in life.

To Medhat’s questions: “Can we look for a common ground to farmers who use neonicotinoids and beekeepers?” I would say yes but, I feel we need to know exactly what effects neonicotinoids are having on bees before telling farmers which poison we find least harmful to bees. And I think more research needs to be done before that is determined.

I doubt beekeepers can depend on the constant, ongoing, forever and ever development of yet another poison every time varroa develops resistance to the last poison we threw at it. And I fear potato farmers are headed for trouble by depending on science to do the same with potato beetles.

Please give yourself a dose of do-gooder strength Medhat. Find us a varroa resistant honey bee and stop worrying about drug addicts.

Ted