Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:34:49 -0500
> However, I must now say that this trial convinced me of its safety to bees
> when applied per the label in blooming citrus in Florida.

I was not as convinced.

To me this was a superficial test using sick bees.  Hackenberg's
observations ran longer than the test and he claimed to see some of the
things differently from what what was reported.

The fact that as many of the hives survived as long as they did, of course
is impressive, but this study did not prove much more than that in this one
instance, in these circumstances, the chemical was not obviously and
immediately lethal.

Taken in conjunction with the other presentations examining effects of
levels as low as one ppb for imidacloprid on pupae, examination of pollen
loads and also on the amplifying effects of various chemicals on one
another, it is apparent we have a lot more to learn about the subtle and
long-term effects of these substances, both alone and in combination.

'Safe' is not a word I would use.

I intend to discuss more of this on my website when I have time.

In the meantime, I posted some slides regarding the continuing work on SMR
and VSH posted yesterday.

www.honeybeeworld.com/diary