Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:47:33 -0500

> The feeder did draw some attention from the other hives but it was close to
> cold weather and I knew the bees would be clustering soon. I also was
> putting out syrup in shallow pans away from all the hives to get it used up.
> There are about 15 hives in this yard and I walk through it every day. Once
> in a while on nice days I would see bees flying at this hive and the other
> hives near it, now I see they must have been robbers.

My experience here in Maine is outside feeding in either the spring or fall,
when there is no bloom, is an invitation for robbing. Even hive-front
boardman feeders are a no-no. When I first started keeping bees I used them
all the time (per the instructions of more experienced beekeepers) and
marveled at how quickly they were consumed. But also wondered why some
colonies were doing great but others were dwindling. So I sat out in front
of the colonies and saw that the strong colonies were feeding from the weak
colonies feeders. I shifted to in-hive feeding and problem solved.

Outdoor feeding makes the bees think there is nectar out there and they have
no problem, when they find there is not, to search where it is, in weak
colonies.

So what was the lesson I learned from my experience?

Not to listen to experienced beekeepers. (Just joking. At least a little. I
sometimes listen to Allen.)

Bill Truesdell -Experienced beekeeper who loves perverse logic conundrums
Bath, Maine