From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:06:26 -0600
I had an interesting question from a local resident.  In closing up the
estate of a Texas beekeeping ancestor, they discovered a large quantity of
honey he estimates to be at least 20 years old.  As expected it was dark and
crystallized.  He reports it to be very strong tasting after he reliquefied
it.  Also expected. My first thought is bake with it.  Strong honey tastes
good in bread.

What gave me pause was that he said it was stored for two decades in an
aluminum container.  Aluminum is rather non-reactive, but honey is known for
reacting with metals.  He asks if he should continue to eat it... or what to
do with it.  I would appreciate any educated insights for my friend.
Thanks.

Larry Krengel