Date:
Tue, 5 May 2009 13:16:19 GMT
>>If bees aren't flying they aren't dying, but more are emerging at maybe 1,000 a day.  It won't take many days of this for the hive to feel itself sufficiently over-populated to throw another swarm if they have the spare queen to do so.

The population increase in non-flying weather is certainly there. No question about it.

I wondered about whether non-flying weather for several days would ensure that the virgins go after each other until only one remains since they can't issue with afterswarms for a while.  Or do the bees perhaps keep the emerged virgins from getting at each other to ensure successful afterswarming?  Any references or personal/anecdotal observations would be most welcome.

Unfortunately, this is not my hive and it is not near me.  Otherwise, I'd be checking it daily to see what's going on with the virgins!

Waldemar