From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:59:02 -0700
> >Here in Australia in the 1870's, the beekeepers were wanting to introduce
> Italian bees because the Apis mellifera mellifera were susceptible to wax
> moth.  They were told the Apis mellifera ligustica was better adapted at
> handling wax moth.

The Hive and the Honey Bee states that wax moth likely evolved with
ancestral Asian bees.  Does anyone on the List have information as to when
Apis m.m. first came into contact with it?  This is very curious to me that
Amm would have not developed strong detection and eradication behaviors for
this common hive pest.

Randy Oliver