From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:28:28 -0400
> Numbers, I never seem to get 100 bees so I hope I am not screwing up the testing by having lower amounts bees

Frankly, I think that should be enough for a rough idea, especially repeated twice.  I don't see the point in trying to achieve scientific accuracy when all we need is a ballpark figure and the highest reading from the bunch and the aggregate average will likely determine how we treat all the hives.  If we were going to treat hive by hive,then that would be different.

> 6 mites / 58 bees

That seems to indicate a serious level, with some irreversible harm already baked in the cake, , but still a good chance of overwintering success if the mites respond to Apistan.

> For the strip placement.  Which brood box is the best place to put the strips? Top or bottom?

Spaced evenly wherever the bees are and/or can be expected to cluster during the entire 42 days is the answer.

Bees usually stay centered on their brood, but brood can hatch and bees can be forced down by feeding, so you have to think about what you expect to happen in your hives, then check and make sure you are right halfway through treatment.  (Strips can be moved if it is seen that the bees have moved).

> Do you think it will contaminate the foundation of a super by putting a wet super on top of the top hive body?

I don't think so, but I suspect this could be considered a label violation. Seems harmless to me, but I am not the authorities. Some beekeepers put a super over an inner cover with a hole and think that is OK.

> I have been thinking of ways to make the bees crawl over the strips

Not necessary.  If the strips are in the cluster, normally in the centre of the top or bottom box or both, and about one to three frames apart, they work as designed.  The main thing is to know where the cluster is going to be at night.

On to my test:

> I am really hoping the strips are not that toxic.

It is toxic all right, but that seems extreme.  I wonder about where you had them -- the temperature, and whether there might be a Vapona strip or some such thing in there.

>... brought them home and put them on the kitchen table to keep a close eye on them. Not one died, I left the piece of strip in for over 24 hours since I have been worried about what the heck was going on. They are healthy and happy so I know there had to have been something in the jar I picked up in the shop..

I wonder what is in the shop?