From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:41:02 -0500
I'm hearing about beekeepers in the SE region of the USA that were unprepared for extended sub freezing temps since the New Year.  Seems mot many had prepared their bees for an record breaking winter and some are already seeing losses.  What was supposed to be typical weather that allowed some flight days or feeding turned into a long winter spell that is not letting up.

Has this weather impacted queen and package production in the far south?

One could imagine larger winter losses for the SE region and if package production is slowed by the weather could a bee shortage be coming this spring for some regions?

Can anyone with firsthand info from these areas comment?

The 90 day outlook from NOAA is calling for a below normal temp period also mainly centered in the SE.

Here in MN we are having a normal winter if not a bit on the mild side temp wise. No real long below zero periods and plenty of snow to insulate colonies. I feel this has been kinder winter conditions for my bees then I have experienced in two years.