From:
Edward D Heinlein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 19:51:16 -0600
Please help a neophyte....what is PPB? In my experience, neglect has just
resulted in massive burr comb plastered all over the glass so as to
obliterate much viewing from without. It also contributed to repeated
swarming. Grant, are your mother hives "out in the country" and the OH
"in the city"? I ask because I was recently asked by a viewer of an OH I
just installed, could the honey produced be used (by humans) as the bees
would be bringing back all of this contaminated (pesticide)
nectar/pollen, and it would be toxic to humans. I advised them that
before the honey would be toxic to humans, I would be expecting to find a
heap of dead bees everywhere. Ergo, my question to you regarding it's
proximity to potential pesticides. Most cities/towns just LOVE to employ
those folks with the tanker trucks that weekly pace back and forth
slathering anything green with a massive cocktail of herbicides and
pesticides. As suggested, heat will do them in, but if anyone is watching
the hive, hot bees in an OH run, run, run all over the place......like
they know the thing is on fire, and they are in a panic trying to find a
way outa' there! I'll give this some more thought.........