From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:37:29 +0100
Peter Edwards wrote:

> That is what I was taught when I started beekeeping in 1981!  Bees
> that have not fed brood remain physiologically young.

I thought that theory had been replaced by evidence that winter bees had
protein stored in their fat cells.  It could be that both theories are
linked because the production of brood food depletes the fat cells of
protein.  This could explain the longevity of AMMs as they are noted for
their trait of collecting copious amounts of pollen.  Only guesses I'm
afraid.

Steve Rose
Clwyd, Wales.