From:
herve abeille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:30:58 -0500
> SAN FRANCISCO, CA November 5, 2007 – The critical disappearance of bees, called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), is still a mysterious threat to honey bees, the mainstay of pollination services in agriculture. The North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC), a tri-national coalition dedicated to promoting the health of all pollinators and a project of the Pollinator Partnership, is teaming up with bee-friendly, natural personal care company Burt's Bees to address this agricultural and environmental issue.

> Burt's Bees has given seed funding to a specific "task force" with NAPPC coined The Honeybee Health Improvement Project. The HHIP task force is led by Danny Weaver, J.D., President of The American Beekeeping Federation, Christina Grozinger, Ph.D., Asst. Professor of Insect Genomics at North Carolina State University and Barry Thompson, M.D., a Director of the Eastern Apicultural Society, and includes well-renowned researchers from around the country.

> The company's support will fund initiating this task force as well as NAPPC's research of key issues facing honeybee health: beekeeper education, foraging opportunities and breeding stock research. NAPPC and Burt's Bees will also collaborate in the production and distribution of 50,000 packets with bee-pollinating seeds through their website, product orders, and through local sampling efforts.

[ I wonder where the money went, besides the packets of seeds? ]

http://www.pollinator.org/honeybee_health.htm

Honey Bee Health NAPPC Task Force

Laurie Adams
Coevolution Institute/NAPPC

May Berenbaum
University of Illinois

Nicholas Calderone
Cornell University

Dewey Caron
University of Delaware

Christine Elsik
Georgetown University

Wayne Esaias
Oceanographer

Diana Cox Foster
Pennsylvania State University

Christina Grozinger*
North Carolina State University

G.W. (Jerry) Hayes
Apiary Inspectors of America

Douglas Holy
USDA - Natural Resources Conservation Service

Eric Mussen
University of California, Davis

Jeff Pettis
Research Leader, USDA-ARS Bee Research Lab

Gene Robinson
Univsersity of Illinois

Colin Stewart
USDA APHIS PPQ