Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 04:21:43 +0200
7bit
From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
"I am going to visit with Dr. John Kefuss when Sharon and I go to France
this Sept. I think he was featured in March issue of AB Journal. He has not
treated for 10 years. Very interesting. He is about two hours from the
Apimondia site. We could use a little adventure."

Dr. Kefuss is partner of Francisco Rey M,  chilean queenbee breeder. They
run together Pacific Queens. I understand Francisco exported some 10.000
queens to Alberta past season.

All years the best queens from PacificQueen Chile are exported to France
where John keeps them without treatment. Unfortunatelly our biosecurity does
not allow to re import that stock.

All year in november John comes to Chile to do the selection tests. They
select productivity based on pollen collection. some 400 potential queens
are tested each year. The best 10% to 20% in pollen collection are then
tested for calmness. John method is to bang the side of the hives an then
put his hands under the cover. He then counts the stings. All those that do
not sting pass to the next stage. This final stage is hygienic behaviour.
Only those that accomplish 100% brood removal (15x15 cm freeze) in 24 hours
are used as mothers for next season. (the above is what I have understand
after talking with Francisco and John two years ago). Tiby szabo worked at
Francisco's place in 2007.

I have tried those queens and they are hygienic and very productive
(broodwise) but they do not excell in honey production and wintering. I add
some Carniolan and southern chile ecotypes blood with great success (I
think, or I hope?).

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.