From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 21:53:38 -0700
OK, here's one for you all...

I hived two swarms in the same tree into boxes about two weeks ago.  Shortly
after we boxed them, the larger left their box, and flew about 15 feet to
combine with the other hived swarm (they could have been divides of a large
swarm for all that I know).

In any case, we gave them three deeps of drawn comb, which they covered
handily.  We left them alone due to rainy weather.  Today I looked into the
hive (about two weeks later).  They had filled the combs with brood and
nectar, as expected.  But they also had quite a few well-developed queen
cells on the bottoms of the frames, more like swarm cells than supersedure
cells.

Not sure if they were getting ready to replace an old queen, or to swarm
again, but they sure didn't waste any time in raising new queens in their
new home!

Randy Oliver