Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 13:35:59 GMT
>The strongest colonies can support a greater parasite load, due to the "conveyor" of massive brood production replacing the sick bees.  When fall comes, and broodrearing slows, the parasites finally catch up.

This has made me think recently of an extra treatment in mid-July after the 2nd extraction when the summer flow has slowed down for a bit.

I have no shortage of bees since I overwinter extra queens in nucs.  I may just continue letting the colonies be exposed to varroa pressure through the whole season and stay with the OA treatment in the fall.

Waldemar