Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 04:00:56 -0700
Exclusive to Apitherapy News

Molan: Rating the Antibacterial Activity of Manuka Honey
By Peter Molan
Honey Research Unit, University of Waikato
http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/2009/05/molan-rating-antibacterial-activity-of.html

Because of increasing publicity about active manuka honey though news
media reports on the research being done at the Honey Research Unit at
the University of Waikato, the public demand for this special honey
increased. But it also brought out people seeking to gain financially by
“passing off” to the public so-called manuka honey which did not
have the unique antibacterial activity. In 1997 I was asked by TRADENZ
(the predecessor to NZTE) to help with the setting up of an Industry
Group for the producers of the genuine active manuka honey, and to
advise on how best the producers of the genuine active manuka honey, and
consumers, could be protected from those selling manuka honey without
the unique type of activity yet implying that it was the same thing.

Unfortunately the recommendations I made have not provided the answer to
the problem…