From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:03:31 +0900
Dee,

Geoff (or Trevor) can speak for eastern Australia.

 Here in Western Australia we definitely do NOT have mites. We take
biosecurity very seriously. Sugar rolls testing as well as examination of
worker and drone larvae and pupae, is done as part of our annual screening
and testing procedures for a number of diseases and parasites. This
programme encompasses both commercial and non-commercial beekeepers and is
done on both a scheduled and randomised sampling basis. The program isn't
cheap, and is funded from a levy paid by all beekeepers and performed by
inspectors and laboratories from our state department of Agriculture. The
results of this testing as well as inspections of the source apiaries is
what enables AQIS (The Australian Quarantine Inspection Service) to sign the
required international health certificates for exports of Queens and Package
Bees.

So in a nutshell, when we say we ain't got mites, you can believe it.

If you need further confirmation, ask Randy, 'cos he sure looked closely for
them when he was here!!

Regards

PeterD