From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:40:59 +0100
Peter Detchon asked:

> given your prediction and your explanation of the cause, do you embark on
> a protein/fat feeding regime to build up your winter bees, and if not, why
> not?

I do not.  This is some thing that has never been necessary in the past and
I am reluctant to start now.  I am gradually converting all my stocks to
native bees (A.m.m.) as they seem better able to cope with these conditions.
Most failures last winter were down to poorly mated queens - and native bees
are generally able to mate satisfactorily under more adverse conditions
(last year we had a batch of queens mate during October).

I also feed very sparingly - on average 6kg of fondant per colony - and
treat for varroa using only thymol crystals during August; all part of a
selection process for bees that are not totally dependant on me for their
survival.
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk