From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:40:35 -0500
 Hello Ghislain & All,
I do not speak Italian so can not read the actual information but I have
been in contact with English speaking beekeepers directly involved.

Those beeks have shown the powers that be that many of the  hives crashing
are in areas  of maize (corn) and their hives away from corn are unaffected.
The Italian agriculture ministry has listened and observed what those beeks
are seeing concerning corn.

One of the main problems with getting similar action in the U.S. *in my
opinion* stems from the fact the makers of the products being banned around
the world are American companies. Giant U.S. agriculture corporations.

Same way in my opinion in Canada.

Billions are being made on those products by these corporations and although
very very easy to register it is very very hard to unregister or get label
changes.

I have seen the first hand results of the neonicotinoids on honeybees as has
the major beeks in the U.S.

We do not buy the lies being put forth by those companies.

Consider the growing list of European countries backing beeks.
France.
Germany
Italy
United Kingdom

Eventually the rage against the neonicotinoids will become a roar in the
U.S. as more and more beekeeping operations are effected and more and more
environmental groups get involved.

The beekeeping industry has been finding ways to survive the problem, Not
doing pollination for those using neonicotinoids, Feeding patties to try and
prevent bees from storing poison pollen and moving away from areas using
neonicotinoids are several solutions we can implement NOW.

At least a few of us will step forward to protest the neonicotinoids as
problems for bees when many researchers only whisper among their selves
their real thoughts and are too afraid of repercussions from speaking out.

In Europe many researchers have taken a stand with beeks. In the U.S. not
one researchers has spoke out other than use vague references to a possible
problem with neonicotinoids and bees.

I do understand why U.S. researchers have not spoke out about the statements
made by U.S. beeks having problems with the neonicotnoids.

I have many friends in the U.S.D.A. and not one researcher has emailed
saying I am wrong about the neonicotinoids.

I do understand why only one article has ever been published concerning the
neonicotinoids as the main topic.

Old saying:
"Justice is the will of the stronger"

Most commercial beeks are using the three points I made to avoid
neonicotinoid problems.

In the case of varroa articles were written about

"living with varroa"

Now we need articles on

"surviving the neonicotionds"

 HFCS vs sucrose

I did have a few voice concerns when I did the article on HFCS ( ABJ April
2007). Mostly from the sellers. Now a year and half  later its hard to find
a beek still using HFCS. The industry as a whole agrees the bees do better
on sucrose than the *current* HFCS being sold. In my mind bees did do fine
on HFCS a decade ago. I do not know what is different today but sucrose is
worth in my opinion the higher cost.

Dr. Pamela Gregory ( USDA_ARS Weslaco Bee Lab) could not prove why bees
lived half as long when feed HFCS vs sucrose but one can not argue which the
test results. The two poisons found in minute quantities (not found in
sucrose and have been in HFCS from the start) do not seem to be the reason.

Reason still an unknown.

For unknown reasons Dr. Gregory was told to stop doing research on HFCS.

The same pressure was placed on the USDA-ARS HFCS work done in 1974 at the
Tucson bee lab. USDA research on HFCS was dropped  even though beeks pushed
for further research.

The above is documented beekeeping history. No future research on HFCS is
planned.

I personally would like to find out why bees lived half as long when fed
HFCS over sucrose. Maybe the research would lead to makers being able to
solve the problem and beeks could feed a cheaper feed.
I am told the USDA and a researcher have involved lawyers to solve the issue
and get the research going again. Will keep the list posted.

bob

interesting history:
In 1929 Dr. Banting (discoverer of  insulin) said he felt the process of
refined sugar would cause diabetes and said if America did not lose its love
affair with refined cane & beet sugar diabetes would be in record amounts in
75 years. Dr. Banting could never prove exactly what in the extracting
process was the problem.

Diabetes is a huge problem today.