From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:16:42 -0400
I really feel sorry for Peter and the several other NYS Inspectors who are
honest, forthcoming, knowledgeable and 'try to help' kind of guys.
Unfortunately, the two guys responsible for management of the program in NYS
are both tarred with the past.

Both of these guys were essentially in their present position when lots of
things went wrong with the program, including inspectors literally stealing
bee hives.  Now, I am not suggesting that either of these guys were
complaisant in the many wrong doings, but they WERE in charge at the time
and memories are long.  Moreover, while they may not have been complaisant
they were warned of matters going on that would not 'stand the light of
day', and chose not to act/investigate.  I know this because I was
personally one of those doing the warning.

The present fuss is mostly (IMHO) because Proposed Regulations were issued
without prior discussion with key beekeeping groups in the state.  I am sure
the reason for not having prior discussion was 'because we knew you would
not agree'...but that is hardly an excuse.

As far as the Farm Bureau support is concerning, that is attributable to a
single large beekeeper who 'knows how to work the system' and is no way a
consenus of the views of beekeepers (like me) who are members of the Farm
Bureau.  In fact, a recent poll by the Empire State Beekeepers found
something like 10 to 1 opposition to the proposed regulations.

Thankfully, it appears that the present Commissioner of Ag. in NYS will not
allow the Proposed Regulations to become effective.

Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.