From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:28:12 +0000
Hi All

A few points cherry picked form Murray's post to Robert.

> just our tough local bees,

The bees in Murray's area have background genetics that have been in
that region for thousands of years (I'll let others argue over whether
it is 9,000 or 15,000 years, but they were not brought by the Romans as
some are currently suggesting).

> I have never done any morphometry and
> probably never will. Its fine detail that does not really concern me as
> all I want are robust vigorous and hard working bees. In our climate
> this invariably means dark but does not HAVE to mean Amm.

Morphometry can give additional information, but should never be the
final arbiter of the usefulness of a bee. The behaviours and traits that
the beekeeper recognises in the bees and matches to the circumstances is
what matters, racial purity should not be a goal, although as it
increases stability becomes easier to achieve. There are some that seek
total racial purity, but I feel that they are chasing rainbows, stable
and repeatable (predictable) characteristics are what is required.

> I have never noticed any of the reputed
> problems attributed to crosses, in fact crosses are often great. Dark
> phase NWC virgins (see earlier posts about open mating and Italian
> drones. Only choose the dark ones as they have an NWC dad as well)
> crossed on local dark bees ( which are predominantly Amm) is a truly
> excellent cross, and its vigour takes two or three generations to revert
> back to the local mean.

Maybe the crosses that I have played with are different to Murray's, but
first crosses in my area are often quite nasty in temper and will meet
you on your way to the apiary. Murray's comment about predominantly Amm
drone making good fathers to his NWC stock is born out by what happened
as my breeding operation came to a close, My breeding apiary was less
than three miles from an apiary run by my local beekeeping association,
ten years ago I was still actively putting high numbers of A. m.
mellifera drones into area and matings at the association apiary
produced calm bees that did not exhibit the nastiness usually associated
with crosses, as my health and activity declined the number of drones
fell and ceased altogether about five years ago, the matings that now
occur at the association apiary give rise to nasty and untrustworthy
colonies.

> I would say just persist with the bees you like, no matter what the
> morphometry says. Its all a bit nazi to me, perfectly good bees rejected
> because their wing venation is not as desired.

If things become bigoted to the extent that Murray mentions, I agree,
but we should be looking at behaviour first and foremost, Morphometry
may tell you information about hybridisation, but should never overrule
behaviour. We are on the threshold whereby DNA becomes more important in
beekeeping, but again this tells us additional information, it is the
behaviour and its fit with the environment that the bee has to live in
that matters.

--
Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://melliferabees.net Email: [log in to unmask]