From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:16:12 +0200
"It is my understanding that bees exposed to SEVIN die before returning to
the hive.  This 'feature' would make it better than insecticides that come
back to the hive to poison house bees, brood and comb."

SEVIN is an insecticide. It is a carbamate very poisonous to bees. Some of
them die when directly in contact with the spray, but other actually come
back to the hive and you continue seeing them die with spams and crawling
some days after the contact. Some pollen comes back and you later (one to
two weeks) see dead larvae. The main problem is that you loose most of your
field bees, so the colony lasts easily one and a half month to recover
strenghts.

In my case colonies are in full brood box, with some 5 to 6 capped frames.

Past season we didn`t receive any notice and we lost all the field force of
300 colonies. Only 5 died, the rest took a a month and a half to recover. We
have to feed them during this time.

This year we received notice the day before the first application (spray).
We worked 24 hours non stop. Took some frames out and placed frame feeder.
put mesh instead of roof and fill feeders with water. We close entrance for
two days. On the third day, with the second application on 150 colonies we
took all capped frames out and make some 180 nucs (frames with honey was
taken from other colonies) We make the nucs with one frame of honey and two
frames of capped brood plus bees atached. We had virgin queen available.

The other half (150 colonies) were freed on the third day with out any
managment of frames. We will inspect in 15 days to check damage.

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.