From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:32:27 EDT
Only problem with the 'drifting bees' in terms of CCD - we don't get an
influx of bees into other colonies, not in the same yard, nor any nearby  yards.
I've watched thousands of colonies in holding areas decline, none  gained
dramatically, yet millions of bees disappeared.

As per equalizing and a few weeks later, the colonies are back to original
status - our counters confirms - colonies that collect bees continue to do so,
regardless of whether you steal frames.  Colonies of bees that lose bees
continue to do so, even if you add frames of brood, etc.

Like Bob, I suspect it may be queen-related, possibly pheromone.   Jerry