Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 12:53:15 GMT
>>It might be interesting next year to split up your rows into blocks of 4 with a distinctive marker between each block...

It would be interesting to try this and other hive orientation patterns that are said to minimize drifting.  Here in suburbia though, I try to keep tight hive clusters to increase the distance to neightbors' property lines.

Transposing and placing strongest hives in worst spots does a good job of equalizing populations that still bring in the honey.

Purely anecdotal on my part but I believe that 3 deep/ unlimited broodnests lessen drifting.  Perhaps because the larger bee populations emit more unique queen scent from each hive making it easier for the returning forager to find their true home?  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Waldemar