From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:52:24 -0400
Kathy Kellison wrote:

> It would cost the growers appox. $1500 an acre to net their trees with a
> shelf life of 3 years on the nets.  The growers could still offer their fruit at
> competitive prices.  If exclusion zoning goes into effect, beekeepers and all bees,
> could be blocked from the entire citrus belt of California.

One thing I found when there were no more bees in my area was plants still got pollinated. How are they going to
keep out all the native pollinators, other than massive uses of pesticide?

As an aside, so far only my cherry tree has set less fruit that normal. The reason is there is just more to
pollinate, so with no bees, the natives could not do the job, which is why I started keeping bees in the first
place, for pollination of my garden and fruit trees. In any case, their absence did make a measurable difference.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine