From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:15:46 -0500
At 11:10 AM 11/30/2007, you wrote:
>cept of about a month in dead of winter when I bottle ahead and take a break) as the water evaporates and needs about a half gallon a week added (which would be an added expense if using RV antifreeze).

I've had a problem with my tank when I forget to refill the water periodically.  If the water drops too low, the thermostat's probe looses contact with the water, and it just turns on all the time, eventually ruining the honey.  Wasn't a big big tank or loss, but it's surprising how often it needs refilled.  I found just pouring some mineral oil in to the depth of 1/4" (probably only about 2oz worth), cuts down on the evaporation almost completely.

-Tim