From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 06:34:15 EST

In a message dated 22/01/2008 03:40:18 GMT Standard Time,  [log in to unmask]
writes:

You  might want to put your ear up to the hive wall were you think the
cluster  might be.  You should hear the bees 'rustling' inside.  If you  don't, put
your ear to the opposite side.

If it's as cold as all that, beware of leaving part of your ear stuck to  the
hive!  Try a stethoscope.  However, when doing recent inspections  at only a
few degrees above freezing and applying oxalic I have found it  perfectly
feasible GENTLY to open a hive and see the bees in their seams, feel  heat rising
and, in the case of the top bar hive where the bars abut, to do a  complete
inspection and dribble oxalic directly onto the bees.  Time will  tell whether I
did more good than harm, but I don't think smoking is fair to the  bees at
this time.

Chris