From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:12:21 -0400
On 9-Apr-08, at 1:03 PM, heather gamper wrote:

> Privet usually refers to plants in the family Oleaceae (Olive
> family), particularly in the Genus Ligustrum but there are several
> other plant genera
> within Oleaceae that have the common name privet.  I have
> also read that the Ligustrum privet can harbor a fair number of
> scale insects and aphids, which if comparing the same privet
> species one
> might get floral nectar vs. insect honeydew as a forage that could
> contribute to differences in the honey? just a thought.

Hi Heather and all

Thanks for pointing out that common names vary from place to place.
I was talking of 2 privots found in Ontario.  Ligustrum amurense(amur
privot from China) and native L. vulgare(common privot). The original
post was from New York where climate etc are similar to Ontario, and
flowering times should also be similar.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada