Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:50:33 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
-- Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I agree that it is nice to have a full transcript of the national  meeting.  
My question is similar to others - did the video company get  paid a fee, and 
then harvest a $150 per set profit on top of the recording  fee?  Again, 
normally, I'd expect to sign a release - that's when I  would have asked these 
questions.

>>>i would certainly agree with you 100% here jerry.  my gut guess is that they did the recording on spec...but i don't think it's really in our ("beekeepers") best interest that it is done this way. (more below).

FYI, it only costs a couple of dollars to make copies of a CD or DVD  set.  
Now, if the video company did this on video spec, then they  will have 
equipment, travel, and salaries to recover, and fully I  understand the charge for 
each set.  If their expenses were paid, then I  might question the cost of the 
sets, although I would have no objection if  the money were to go back to the 
bee associations where it can be put to good  use.

>>>this i also agree with...to a point.  in this day and age, the technology to do this kind of recording literally costs a couple of hundred dollars.  the bee association should buy a couple of cameras, and get responsible (and capable) beekeepers to do the recording on a volunteer basis (or reduced fee for attendance).  for the price of 3 complete sets of cd/dvd, one could put buy all the equipment needed, and post them all online for free, allowing anyone with a decent internet connection to have free access to these talks.  this seems like a no brainer to me.

Also, I've already had some fallout from the recording.   I've folks who 
listened to audio in the absence of the video and  slides, then drew erroneous 
conclusions about what my group said during the  Commercial Beekeeper SIG.  One 
of these is causing us some  problems.

>>>you can always post the powerpoint presentation (which is where i assume your slides come from these days) online.  this can clear up a lot of ambiguity.  in the case of the maryann frazier video, i asked her specifically for permission to videotape and post her presentation..which she agreed to on the condition that i don't film any "data slides", as the results are incomplete, and not yet published.  i had no problem with this, as we both agreed that the important thing was to get the information out to beekeepers...not to wait until publication...she gets high marks in my book for that attitude :)

If this meeting is going to be recorded, all of the presentation (images  and 
audio) should be provided.  Maybe the CD/DVD is complete - I haven't  bought 
it.

>>>that's certainly a fair request...and i also think that you should get a cut if someone is selling your lecture (regardless of whether they recorded on spec or not).  if it were me, i'd make a big fat stink about it, and demand a free copy for yourself (if you didn't sign a release either with the recording company or the group you were contracted to speak for, they have little to stand on here).

>>>fwiw, i know that the videos i've posted (from the organic conference and the frazier video) are not pro quality.  in all cases, videotaping was not the only thing i was responsible for while the talks were happening, so it was impossible to be 100% focused on making a "good tape".  getting a good video of the speaker and the projector is always a bit difficult (and requires some forethought)...it can be done much better than i have done, even by an amature if there is a little focus on the video being one of the priorities.  

>>>that said, there have been 999 views of the 4 videos we have up...which i did everything with a mini dv camera i bought 4 years ago for $200 (factory refurb), tapes that cost $2 each, and a 5-6 year old laptop (with "windows movie maker").  hosting is free on google (unlimited file sizes).  if anyone has footage they want to put online, i'm happy to help out (just figuring it out myself), and for expenses and $200/day, i'll come to almost any bee meeting in the country, and get the talks available online for free.

>>>deknow

* General Information About BEE-L is available at: *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/default.htm   *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2