From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:17:19 -0500
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:01:51 -0600, Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Our nation ( and many writers for the New York Times) is rapidly becoming a
>nation of finger pointers. The article solves what? What good is an article
>without at least a possible solution to the problem Michael thinks he sees?

people read that stuff and some make changes in what they eat or how they spend their money.
Michael Pollan is the poster boy  for the eat local movement and a lot of people are interested to
hear what he has to say.

the politics of beekeeping and honey is changing and IMO migratory beekeeping and imported
honey is being lumped into the same category as feedlot pork, Yuck!. people are and will be
asking is that honey from china or a migratory operation? no thanks I'll get the non-industrial,
more sustainable version from a local beekeeper.

IMO the answers are obvious. stop raising pigs in an inhumane way crammed into feedlots. stop
planting massive monoculture crops which require pollination services that do not exist .

problem is Bob some folks like you don't like the answers. you seem more interested in importing
bees then fixing the problems we created as an industry. its all about the money and the short
term isn't it?

I and other like minds  can only hope that these systems break down from the fact that they are
unsustainable. no one will be going hungry or few will be out of a job if those new almond
plantings go un-pollinated. this is not a national crisis to get those trees pollinated for the
investors to cash their nuts in. IMO the chaos created by the mass movement of bees each year is
creating a national crisis and negatively affecting many, many beeks.

So bring on the articles like the one I posted, get the information out there for consumers to make
their own choices and influence state and federal ag policy thats how we will see some changes
occur.