From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:28:42 -0400
Thanks to all, including He Who Should not be Named, for your ideas.

I agree with the simple fact that, if there are no bees, I will certainly be wasting my time sitting by a honey
covered dish in the middle of a field. Although I could assume the Lotus position and chant Tibetan Top Ten
Tunes. Perfectly normal in Maine.

Since, if I ever could get my legs crossed I might never get them uncrossed and would become a living monument
in the field ($1 admission), that is out.

Here is my plan. Set out many dishes in different locations with a little tanglefoot smeared on some of it to
capture any bees, mainly to see if there are any in the area. I have 3 acres and there are another eight open
field acres adjoining my lot.

If there are, I will use that location for feeding and place a "feeding box' there, open at first while I
observe the flight of the bees, and then close the entrance with a panel which has several tube entrances. The
bees can get in to the box but the tubes will extend several inches into the box so they will probably not be
able to get out. The boxes sides will have several screened openings to draw the captured bees to the light, so
they will not try to get out using the tubes. Then I will use those bees to triangulate the location of the colony.

Any comments?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine